Monday, October 15, 2007

Watching over us and protecting us with his angel's wings

When I think of my Grampa I think of his red plaid hat. I've never seen anyone else where one like it but it just sort of suited him. I think of fishing, going for drives and watching Coronation street. He loved war films, playing pool and taking me to the place he grew up to pick apples in the orchard. When I spent the night at my grandparents' house he would always make breakfast for me and my Nan in the morning. He was always laughing and smiling and he made the best rice pudding ever!!! Being the only granddaughter on my dad's side I was more than a little spoiled by my grandparents, I even had my own room at their house ;)

This morning just after 3am my Grampa got his wings. This is especially hard for me because I live half the country away and don't have the means to make it home to be with my family. I am hurting and longing to be with my Nan and my father and brother. What a great man our family was blessed to have.

I am taking today to remember him, as he was before he got sick. Such a gentle kind hearted man. I looked forward to spending (almost) every weekend with my Nanny and Grampa when I was a little girl. Those almost weekly visits continued for years. When I was in college I would visit them at least once a week on my lunch period or when I had a spare. Their house is on College cres, so it wasn't far to go :)

After my son was born I flew home so he could meet my family. My grampa had already suffered a few strokes among other things but his face lit up when he saw me and he had the biggest smile when he held his great grandson for the first time.

This past June I flew home again and he got to meet his great grand daughter. By this point he was already living out his days in the hospital, but none the less he smiled at my babies and managed to tell me with the few words he had that my babies were sweet. It was so hard to see him like that, all frail in a hospital room but I am glad I was able to see him that one last time.

Goodbye Grampa Howie, I love you. I just know that you have left your pain behind and are now fishing in the sky. (...and I bet you're wearing a red plaid Scottish hat!)